Wednesday, May 2, 2012

My Obsession with the Color Green

One of my all time self indulgent movies is Great Expectations - a Hollywood adaptation (loose) of Charles Dickens' classic novel. The reasons are abundant.

  • the artwork is captivating
  • the locations - the Gulf Coast of Florida, New York City, the dilapidated mansion
  • Gwyneth - you either love her or hate her - I love her
  • Ethan Hawke - adorable
  • their names - Estella and Finn (and yes, this is where we decided to name our son Finn)
  • the love story that transcends time
  • the costume design is inspiring - every time I see the movie I want to channel one of Gwyneth's outfits - thank you Donna Karan
  • the soundtrack with one of my favorite song "Life in Mono"
  • And the entire movie is shot with the color green as part of the cast - it's so subtle at times but once you're aware, it's fun to follow.

I could go on but if you love a good love story and have a rainy afternoon to indulge, check it out.


So when I started to think about my spring wardrobe for 2012, green came to mind. I've had this amazing glass stone green ring for 3 years now and everyone seems to comment on how much they love it , but this year it was the Cleo & Cat rectangular ring that caught my eye.






Then a couple of weeks ago, we were at the Georgetown Sample Sale and I found this Halston dress at Julia Farr and Julia convinced me it was a show stopper.



The dress may have been the true beginning of my little green shopping spree. Next came the green stud earrings from The Shoe Hive...$30 which were an easy indulgence on pay day.


Have you ever noticed that once you start this color love, you need to complete the outfit - or at least that is what happened the following day when I put on my new favorite green post earrings and decided that the Pour La Victoire flats were a must.


The up side is that I now have this perfect little color capsule that completes even the simplest of outfits. My denim and white scoop t-shirt look gets the cute green flats. The black maxi skirt now has an amazing halter top I created from the linen scarf.


Truth be told, one of my favorite movies for fashion inspiration is the remake of Great Expectations with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke. The entire movie had this green theme throughout and Gwyneth had some stunning pieces that I am still recreating (thank you Donna Karan for that amazing wardrobe). For more Great Expectations info, I have included a link to a blogger who went into some great detail and insight on the movie and how it is a hidden jade gem along with some great scene grabs.




I've also include some great items from Hysteria that are part of my lust for green.


Landy Top from Diane von Furstenberg $285
Scotch Naturals Nail Enamel at Hysteria this week $15

Skinny Scotch Denim from Pray for Mother Nature $165
Milly Sarah Twirl Dress $385

New Jeanne from Diane von Furstenberg in Paper Forest $345

Melissa Odabash Dora Tunic $220



Kenneth Jay Lane Tribal Necklace $70

No comments:

Post a Comment