Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Let The Wild Rumpus Begin

As Mother's Day approaches, I would like to honor Maurice Sendak. I can recite an entire litany of songs from "Chicken Soup with Rice". "Alligator's All Around", "One Was Johnny" and "Pierre"... I know them all. And "Where the Wild Things Are" was perhaps the first book I purchased when I was pregnant with my daughter. I knew I would want to share the fascinating story of Max and his journey to where the wild things are. I just happen to find the movie version this past weekend with the most adorable child actor playing Max and Catherine Keener playing the mother. The mark of a great children's book that you remember as a child is when you read it again as an adult, the story impacts you in a totally different way. The movie explores the reality of growing up - and the "wild things" are dealing with very adult issues. All pretty heady but so is growing up. Yet there is still something comforting about finding this reality in one of your favorite children's books. Thank you Maurice Sendak for sharing your imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment